Re: Dark theme

change "$1 $2" in your script to $* ... give meld all the arguments

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 4:11 AM, Aris Aris <father aris gmail com> wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I have tried to change the gtk theme with the tweak tool, but not with the result I expected. GTK_THEME=Adwaita:dark meld does the trick. So I just added a small script in /usr/local/bin
'''
#!/bin/bash
GTK_THEME=Adwaita:dark meld $1 $2

'''
and created a symbolic link to it with the name meldark. So every time I d like a dark themed diff quest I can ask for it :D

My only problem is that when I set my script or the link as the git difftool It doesnot work and falls back to meld... if I find a better way around this one I ll post back.

 Once again thanks for the great tool. I will later post to this list some minor features I am missing, which probably I might have not yet figured out and if of interest, I will add them as issues to gitlab with feaure request tag. Will be glad to find the time and contribute to this project.

Best regards,
Aris

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 10:22 PM, Kai Willadsen <kai willadsen gmail com> wrote:
On 18 January 2018 at 20:04, Aris Aris <father aris gmail com> wrote:
>  I am trying to run meld with dark theme. I have installed the latest
> version (meld-3.18.0) and tried to load  meld-dark.css, either by renaming
> it in meld.css or changing the respective line at /bin/meld from:
>  css_file = os.path.join(meld.conf.DATADIR, "meld.css")
> to:
>  css_file = os.path.join(meld.conf.DATADIR, "meld-dark.css")
<snip>
> I would appreciate some help, as I would really prefer to use meld with dark
> colors.

I can see what you're trying to do, but Meld doesn't use CSS for dark
theme changes; this changed in 3.15.0. We now rely on GTK+ to do the
dark theme selection for us, and use GtkSourceView schemes for
swapping out dark highlighting.

If you're using e.g., Adwaita-dark as your GTK+ theme, or you've used
the global dark theme switch in Tweak Tool, then this should just
work. If you *just* want to make this switch for Meld, you'll have to
run something like:
    GTK_THEME=Adwaita-dark bin/meld
or see https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/14129/gtk-enable-set-dark-theme-on-a-per-application-basis
for more complex options.

> Also I would really like to contribute to the project. I have some very
> basic feature requests that I have found over time that would make working
> with meld even more user friendly. How/Where would be the best place to file
> feature requests so maybe some other people express their opinion and maybe
> a few guidelines on how to work on it.

We've recently moved from using bugzilla to GNOME's new GitLab instance at:
    https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/meld
so if you want to file bug reports or small patches, that's the best place.

If you want to raise new ideas, this mailing list is usually the best
option, just for more general discussion and input.

cheers,
Kai