Re: File filters for version control view?

On 24 February 2018 at 14:07, Joel Polowin <jpolowin hotmail com> wrote:
Hi, all.

I'd like to be able to use Meld for its version control display,
with unversioned files shown, but have the file filters enabled so
as not to have the list cluttered with files that are irrelevant:
tags, cscope.out, etc.  I'm not seeing a way of doing that, and
I've run across some "yeah, it doesn't do that" comments on line.
If it's possible, would you please tell me how; if it isn't, would
you please consider this a feature request?

It's not currently possible. I'd definitely consider a feature
request, but... it's complicated.

Meld's version control view always tries to show you whatever your
version control is going to show you on the command line, and I
personally consider that to be a good design choice. Having said that,
several people have wanted this so... even though I disagree, I'm open
to the notion that I just don't get it.

On a technical/UI level, it's a reasonable amount of work to do this.
The main thing is that it should be *really obvious* that this was
happening, and it should probably be untied from the current global
on/off setting of the filter. In other words, just because I filter
out comment changes in my file comparison doesn't mean that I want to
blanket commit files that have comment-only changes when in version
control view.

In short, feel free to file an issue! However, I can't even picture
how the user interaction would work at the moment, which means that in
my mind, it's a long way off.

cheers,
Kai