Re: Meld Feature Request - Comments to diffs

On 29 March 2018 at 21:57, Piotr Pałucki <piotrek palucki gmail com> wrote:
Hi all,
I am quite fresh to the Meld community, so please excuse my fluffs.

Do you think is it possible to add inline commenting, that some other
systems(e.g. Atlassian's Bitbucket) already have?
A lot of us use Meld for code reviews, so why don't move the comments and
remarks from separate mails to Meld natively?
An example of such an inline comment can be seen here:

https://blog.bitbucket.org/2012/10/30/building-inline-comments-for-pull-requests-and-commits/

I have some concepts and ideas in mind, but I would like to hear an opinion
and a high-level insights of more experienced developers.

I'm not certain how you were envisioning the comments, etc. would move
to Meld. I feel like the way to do this would be to have Meld become a
client for whatever online code review system was in use, and would
fetch and push comments to that.

I think this is probably a *lot* of work, but I can also imagine how
much of it would stick together. GtkTextView should do a reasonable
job of allowing inline comments (via a child widget and a popover or
something), so provided that the server-side API is sensible and we
didn't want to support drafts or comments against old versions... this
feels possible.

cheers,
Kai