Re: Diff between 2 git commits except contained in 3rd commit

I've posted a hacky solution at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46296933/diff-between-2-git-commits-except-contained-in-3rd-commit
Better answers are welcome

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 11:46 PM, Kai Willadsen <kai willadsen gmail com> wrote:
On 19 September 2017 at 19:32, Dmitry Lysnichenko <dmitriusan apache org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to get meld + git to display changes that happened between 2
> git commits, but exclude changes introduced in a 3rd commit? The use case is
> to see how much current commit differs from some commit before a 3-way
> merge.
> I understand that this is not a pure meld use case, but sounds like quite a
> common use case for me.
>
> It would be great to have "arithmetic" mode like "meld path1 path2-path3"
> but sounds too fantastic to be true.

I can definitely see why you'd want this, but Meld doesn't have any
real support for this.

I feel like the best way to do what you want is probably to perform a
fake merge that includes the commit you want to exclude, and the diff
the intermediate result... though honestly I'm mostly guessing. If you
do figure it out, please let us know! This does sound like it could be
generally useful.

cheers,
Kai