Re: Cannot build 3.16.2 on Windows

> Where did you get this library from?

Found it inside the installation folder. (I'd re-installed Meld v3.16.2, the latest Windows release)

Well, thanks to the author of PyGObject for Windows (he did all the testing and guided me), I've successfully installed Meld v3.16.4 using the latest PyGObject (pygi-aio-3.24.1_rev1) and everything seems OK so far. You can see the steps necassary to build v3.16.4 for Windows in https://sourceforge.net/p/pygobjectwin32/tickets/55/

On 14 June 2017 at 21:37, Serhan Apaydın <zerhan gmail com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build Meld on Windows. I've cloned the repo, installed Python
> 2.7.6, cx_Freeze 4.3.2 and PyGI 3.14.0 AIO. The description on
> https://download.gnome.org/binaries/win32/meld/3.16/SOURCES states that we
> should have PyGI 3.14.0 AIO rev19 installed but I couldn't find rev19
> anywhere. There's only rev22 (pygi-aio-3.14.0_rev22-setup.exe) on
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/pygobjectwin32/files
>
> If I install rev22 and execute `python setup_win32.py bdist_msi` I get some
> "libgnutls-26.dll is missing" error.

I'm quite confident that I didn't need this step. It's possible
however that selected something more than the default in the AIO
installer... unfortunately the build machine that I was using is no
more, so I can't check.

> I've manually copied that file into "Python27/Lib/site-packages/gnome"

Where did you get this library from?

> and executed `python setup_win32.py
> bdist_msi` again, sucessfully created the msi file, and then I installed
> Meld using that msi but Meld failed to launch. It gives the following error:

Just so you know, you should also be able to run Meld uninstalled at
this point. If that works but the MSI doesn't, then it's basically
going to be a packaging issue. If it doesn't work, then chances are
good that it will be easier to debug running uninstalled.

<snip>
>   File "bin/meld", line 259, in <module>
>   File "bin/meld", line 162, in check_requirements
<snip>

So this line is our gobject introspection GTK+ import, so something in
that chain is failing. It's annoying that we don't get more details
from cx_freeze/python here, but hey. My best guess right now is that
the libgnutls DLL is somehow mismatched with the rest of the DLLs,
but... honestly I'm really not sure.

> Is there anything I should do? Is it because I've installed rev22 instead of
> rev19? If so, where can I find rev19? Just in case I've created a ticket and
> asked the author to re-upload rev19:
> https://sourceforge.net/p/pygobjectwin32/tickets/55/

While I can't rule out a problem here, the AIO binaries have been
fairly reliable, so I'd be a bit surprised if this was the cause.

cheers,
Kai