Re: Meld Crashes on large compares

On 1 January 2017 at 08:56, Mark Phillips <mark phillipsmarketing biz> wrote:
I am using meld 1.8.4 on Ubuntu 14.04. I have two usb drives with lots of media files (ie the files are large). I am trying to compare some directories on the two drives and meld keeps crashing.

dir1 - 381 files and 38.3 GB
dir2 - 367 files and 33.9 GB

When I try to compare the two directories, meld turns gray and never comes back after 10 minutes.

Is there a size limits on the number of files or the directory size that I am hitting? Any settings I should change to make this work?

There's no hard limit on sizes. Meld will just read a file until it's done or you run out of memory. We'll avoid keeping things in memory if we detect that it's a binary file, or if you have the "apply filters to folder comparisons" option disabled. What you're seeing is probably that we block while reading large files.

If you don't need to compare the contents and are happy with assuming that files with the same size and timestamp are identical, you can enable the "compare files only by size and timestamp" option in the preferences.

Also, everything I'm saying is for the 3.16.x series. I'm pretty sure it's mostly the same for 1.8.x, but that's a really very old version by now.

cheers,
Kai