Idea: How about logical lines?

Just found that I can let Meld ignore code comments when comparing files, cool!

Now I'm looking for a way to let Meld ignore formatting of the code, and find only differences that matters for functionality. I've skimmed through the mailing archive and hasn't found any discussion regarding such functionality.

Many software languages has a way to break a logical line into multiple physical lines, without affecting the resulting code. Some languages use backslash or the like, others allow any white-space location to have a line break, but end logical lines with a semicolon.

Is it a good idea to let Meld (and other diffs) find changes based on logical lines as an alternative to physical lines? Like a switch/preference to use logical lines instead (with options for line-continuation and line-end).
Have I overlooked some important considerations here?

~Per