Meld Crashes on large compares

I am using meld 1.8.4 on Ubuntu 14.04. I have two usb drives with lots of media files (ie the files are large). I am trying to compare some directories on the two drives and meld keeps crashing.

dir1 - 381 files and 38.3 GB
dir2 - 367 files and 33.9 GB

When I try to compare the two directories, meld turns gray and never comes back after 10 minutes.

Is there a size limits on the number of files or the directory size that I am hitting? Any settings I should change to make this work?

Thanks!

Mark