Re: Meld 3.16.2

On 6 August 2016 at 16:15, JIA Pei <jp4work gmail com> wrote:

My questions are:

1)  Is current meld still python2 compatible, but python3 incompatible?
Particularly, for my case, I'm using Ubuntu 16.04.1, with python=3.5.2, and
I definitely installed libxml2, as well as itstool from Ubuntu repository.
When I tried
sudo python setup.py install
I obtained the following error messages:

running build_help
msgfmt help/sv/sv.po -o build/help/sv/sv.mo
itstool -m build/help/sv/sv.mo -o build/help/sv help/C/index.page
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/bin/itstool", line 25, in <module>
   import libxml2
ImportError: No module named 'libxml2'
error: command 'itstool' failed with exit status 1

Meld 3.16.x is not and never will be Python 3 compatible. Please read
the emails on this list about Python 3 if you're so insistent on
Python 3 support.

2) In addition, I search around Goole, and try to find your most-up-to-date
meld code, which I assume that the github code at
https://github.com/GNOME/meld should be even newer than your online release,

The github repo is a mirror of the actual GNOME repo, it's not the
canonical source.

say: https://download.gnome.org/sources/meld/3.16/meld-3.16.2.tar.xz .
So, which is newer? Your release
https://download.gnome.org/sources/meld/3.16/meld-3.16.2.tar.xz ?  or the
github source https://github.com/GNOME/meld ??

A release will never be newer than whatever is in the git repo.
Releases are made from branches in the repository.

Right now, current git master will become Meld 3.17.0 and has initial
Python 3 support and no longer supports Python 2.

cheers,
Kai