Re: meld python3?

On 13 April 2016 at 05:40, Andrew Beyer <beyer andrew gmail com> wrote:
I don't think 2to3 is going to get you terribly close to anything that
actually works.

This is true. I'd go so far as to say that for a code base like Meld,
2to3 isn't really helpful at all. While it might 'work', it will do a
*lot* of unnecessary changes and won't actually fix any of the
problems.

AFAIK, meld code itself is largely going to work ok w/ 2to3, but the
interactions w/ gobject & gtk bindings probably require quite a bit of
updating to work properly in py3. (I haven't actually tried it w/
meld, but do know that another codebase I worked w/ had similar
issues.) I know Kai has mentioned that this is something he's looked
at before, but not sure the current status of it...you may want to
wait for him to chime in before you go too far w/ this.

I have a local branch with basic py3k support, but it's not really in
a pushable state. For a start, I'm confident that a lot of our
filename handling code is just plain wrong, and I haven't had the time
to figure out how to rework things yet. I *will* try to get that
tidied up to a point where I can at least push the branch so that
people can play, but it will still take a while.

For the next release series (I'm hoping to release 3.16 in the coming
weeks) the python 3 port is probably my major goal, along with merging
the OSX build support.

cheers,
Kai