Noob asks: How to hack meld?

Hi,

I want to try hacking a feature in meld, but I don’t know anything about python infrastructure. In particular, after I edit a *.py file,  I don’t know how to “build” ./bin/meld and run  in my local development directory. I’m hoping that I don’t have to read through all of the distutils documentation :)

My goal is to add an option to NOT recurse into  sub-directories, thereby improving performance and preventing crashes when comparing large deep directories.

Thanks!

Deft