Re: --output function isn't working

On 27 June 2015 at 18:46, Louis Popi <theh2o64 gmail com> wrote:
Hi !
I recently posted a bug report about git + meld on Ubuntu 15.04. I
investigated more and I discovered that, in fact, the --output have some
graphic gliches.
So, I'll do a quick explaination :
- I have two different files orig and remote
When I do a simple 'meld orig remote' it directly lauches meld and shows me
a classical differencial (like this http://hpics.li/dc89e46)
However when I create an empty file called "merge" and I do 'meld orig
remote --output merge', I have first this error message on the console :
"/usr/bin/meld:274: Warning: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT
(object)' failed
  status = meld.meldapp.app.run(sys.argv)"
and my screen is like that http://hpics.li/516ca18
and when I (on the right side of the window) click on "Browse" and select
the "merge" file again here is what I got http://hpics.li/9995e69

This isn't a bug; this is the expected behaviour. When you run "meld 1
2 --output 3", Meld loads 1 and 2 into the first and second pane, and
sets the second pane to save to 3. If there is a bug, it's that we
don't complain about using the --output flag with a two-pane
comparison, as it mostly makes sense for three-way comparisons.

So, this bug is happening using git : I lauchned 'git mergetool' wich
basically runs the 'meld --output' command. I got the same error message and
to make the diff flags (>>>>) appears I have to manually reopen the middle
file, the "merge" file.

This bug is really annoying, and may causes issues to a lot of developpers
as me who merged wrong stuff.

Since you don't say what you expected to have happen, I'm not sure
what you think the actual problem is. However, I'm now half suspecting
that you expect to get the MERGED file in the middle pane when doing a
'git mergetool'. If you look at the default mergetool script
(https://github.com/git/git/blob/master/mergetools/meld) you'll see
that it shows BASE in the middle pane, and outputs to MERGED.

cheers,
Kai