Re: changes in meld 1.8 +

On 5 July 2014 15:47, andré <andr55 laposte net> wrote:
Kai Willadsen a écrit :
No, this was deliberately removed due to low usage (yes, I realise some
people used it) and it's extremely unlikely to come back. While there's
no timeline, the replacement for stuff like this will be to add a plugin
system that allows custom actions for people that want very specific
things.

It would be really nice to get it back, even if as a non-default option.
After doing a directory comparison (several hundred files in each tree) for
selective modifications, it becomes rather hectic without being able to hide
the many subdirectories already processed.

It's really not an 'option' kind of thing, so as I said, as far as I'm
concerned the way to add this back is to add support for plugins.

I'm tempted to try to reinstall the old meld, or run it uninstalled if that
will work.

That should work.

<snip>
The 3 lines could be staggered/indented if that is wanted.
Even with 2 comparisons, at often more than 50 characters in the path+name,
the space currently available is far too small.

Unfortunately, I tried this and to me it looked... not good.

Besides, the whole path doesn't show in either the file or folder
selectors, so in order for this to be an issue at all you need
file/folder names that individually have more than ~20 characters. In
order for it to be a real problem, they also need to not be
*distinguishable* in the first 20 characters... which, granted, will
be the case for most Java class names but otherwise you're probably
good.

    2d) Entering a second file/directory name does not take advantage of
    the previous name entered.

The file selectors remain in the location of the last selected file, so
I'm not sure what you mean here.

That is what used to happen before my upgrade.  That is, the second
directory selection started at where the directory was selected.  But not
what happened in my tests with 1.8.2.  It always starts with what looks like
the gnome3 selection list, pointing to ~.
Maybe related to how it got packaged on my distro ?  Only it seemed exactly
the same on uninstalled mode on the 2 versions available on the download
page.

Yeah I'm not sure what's going on here then. For me these work as
expected, so I can only assume that it has something to do with a GTK
patch?

So GTK has changed, or Meld is using a different widget ?
I just found a workaround.  Just selecting compare without entering any
names, pressing the stop button, then entering the names in the selection
fields there.
But that also suggests a solution.
Using the widget now inside the directory comparison page, in the initial
file/directory selection.  That widget works like before.

Those widgets have gone away in 3.11. The widget's we're using on the
new comparison tab in 1.8 are the standard GTK widgets; the selection
fields on the comparison pages are old custom widgets that were
unpleasant to maintain and tried to mimic the style of pre-GTK-2 file
selectors.

    3) The changes are not localized.  Hopefully that will come soon.

You're using an old 1.8.x, so check the most recent for localisations.
The Gnome translation team takes care of Meld translations, so you could
always try to request support for Meld for your language if it's missing.

It is .po/.mo localisation, so I could help with that.  (For french.)
Has the newer parts of the code been internationalized ? (i.e. prepared for
translations)

Everything in Meld *should* be properly marked for translation.
However, I don't think we've had anyone work on the French translation
for quite a while, sadly. There appear to be some updates to the
French translations on l10n.gnome.org that haven't made it in yet, but
I don't pretend to understand that workflow.

cheers,
Kai