Re: Meld 3.11.0 and encoding

On 1 March 2014 08:08, Claudio Fischer <claudio fischer freenet de> wrote:
Hi Kai,

thanks for the answer,
I dont use gedit, because linux mint uses an older version and ubuntu the
newest.
I switched to "geany" and use it as default text editor on all my linux
systems,
not looking back :-) and has no encoding problems with any text file format

Unfortunately there's no such thing as being able to detect text
encodings perfectly. At a brief look, Geany tries some combination of
UTF8, whatever you suggest and some sniffing. There's an open bug to
add encoding detection to Meld, for which we'd probably just use the
chardet library.

cheers,
Kai