specify preferred revision control

Hi,
I don't know how to effectively check the topics discussed till now within the mailing lists, therefore, please apologize and point me to the thread covering that already.

The question / proposal:
I'm using meld mostly from command line (no arguments). It's great. But recently, I'm forced to use SVN (remote repositories), but on the other having GIT freedom at the same time on the same code worked upon would make me even happier. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell meld which RCS should prefer. I guess that shouldn't be too much effort to add it, or?

Maybe just to be explicit and clear of what I'd like to do:
svn co ... Foo
cd Foo
git init .
git add .

use git & meld doing smaller steps,
... satisfied with the results...

svn commit...

GIT and SVN can coexists on the same code without the problems. But only command line is available, no fancy Meld tool.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
Damjan