Re: Meld 1.8.1 released

Yea, I wondered if having differences in the commandline options depending on the platform may not be such a good idea, even though it would avoid the duplication.  I've gone ahead with the two executables for now (new binaries have been uploaded).  The new binary can be located by the registry key HKLM\Software\meld\CommandLineExecutable if needed. Thanks for the feedback.

-Keegan

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 5:20 PM, Kai Willadsen <kai willadsen gmail com> wrote:
On 1 October 2013 01:25, Keegan Witt <keeganwitt gmail com> wrote:
> Does anyone use Meld as Git's merge tool?

Only on Linux, but I think that won't help you at all...

> If I add an extra flag to have it
> wait for the exit code, wouldn't that require changes to their execution
> script (https://github.com/git/git/blob/master/mergetools/meld)?  That is,
> they couldn't just specify the executable path anymore, they'd also need to
> add the flag we're talking about adding, whereas if it was separate
> executables they could just choose one or the other.

That's my understanding too. However, I'm not even sure whether Meld
works as a git mergetool out of the box on Windows, so I wouldn't
worry about that too much yet.

> Much as I hate the
> duplication, maybe it's better to have two executables after all.  Or am I
> misreading this?

I really dislike extending our commandline ABI; doubly so if we're not
really sure what the solution is. For this reason, I'd suggest a
second .exe for the moment, and see if we can figure something proper
out in the future. If we have to put in some hacks for this to work
then fine... as long as we mark them as unstable, etc.

Speaking of the future, does anyone know what PyGtk 3 + introspection
is like on Windows at the moment?

cheers,
Kai