Re: Feature request: Visually compare image files

On 23 March 2013 07:43, Claudio Fischer <claudio fischer freenet de> wrote:
Hi,
meld 1.71 got a lot of features and functions I wanted to have.
One of my missing features would also to have the possibility to compare
binary files e. g. bitmaps, icons ...
See the attached screenshot how the compare tool we use under windows does
this.
Would be nice to see this in meld too :-)

I'd love this, and I'm fairly sure there's an open bug for it.
However, doing a decent hex comparison is a reasonable amount of work,
and involves solving the same kinds of issues as an image diff.
Basically, we're going from a model where your file comparisons are
*always* text based to one where your file comparison may have totally
different characteristics.

cheers,
Kai