Re: Bug in directory view

On 1 March 2013 02:08, Jeff Webb <jeff webb nta-inc net> wrote:
There seems to be a "bug" in meld's directory view.  If the
Preferences->Text Filters->"Ignore changes which insert or delete blank
lines" checkbox is enabled, files which differ only by blank lines show up
as being different in the directory view.  If you click on one of these
files in the directory view, the file diff shows no differences, as
expected.  It seems like the fix could be as simple as something like what
is shown in the patch below.  You may want to do something more efficient,
but it seems that something like this is needed here.  This fix is very
useful in conjunction with something like the "C++ comment" filter when you
are comparing different revisions of a project and want to find the files
that have non-comment differences.  We were trying to do this in a case
where someone changed a revision number comment in every file.  This fix
seems to work for our test case.

That also won't work for unicode or mac linebreaks, so we'd need to
establish a list of linebreaks that would be ignored in FileDiff by
the preference (which will then break when GTK or Python changes their
definitions, but hey).

I'd like to fix the bug, but I don't want to encourage the idea that
that should work. I have to admit that it never occurred to me that
the blank line ignoring *would* propagate across to folder
comparisons. Basically, it's only there cause our filters can't handle
new lines.

Could I ask you to file a bug please, and I'll take a look at a more
general patch?

cheers,
Kai