Re: Version control support call for help

On 4 June 2013 06:38, Kai Willadsen <kai willadsen gmail com> wrote:
<snip>
We also have:
 * Fossil - Relatively new and looks okay, but it needs to use newer Meld API.
 * SVK - As long as it just works like SVN it can stay.

And in the totally-unmaintained column:
 * Monotone - Our 'interface version' support is 9.0, and they're at 13.0. I
   have no idea whether anyone is using this or whether it works.
 * Darcs - Our module code looks okay, but I have no idea what its status is.
 * CVS - I guess people still use this? It doesn't support *any* modern VC
   capabilities, and is becoming increasingly difficult to deal with.
 * RCS - Really?

Our Monotone and Darcs modules haven't been touched by anyone who actually
uses them in *four years*. It's two or three years for CVS and RCS.

One of my goals for 1.7.4 is to migrate all VC modules to get rid of the
diff-then-patch approach to getting repository versions of files, and I'm
not above removing support for the above systems in order to get there. I'd
like to support as wide a range of systems as possible, but right now it's
just not happening.

I've 'ported' Fossil, Monotone, and Darcs to the new
get_path_for_repo_file() API, and they work in my *very* limited
testing. I would be astonished if the support was robust, but since a
couple of those modules didn't work in either 1.7.2 or 1.7.3 and
no-one complained, I don't know that there's a large user base who
cares.

I've moved all of the unpleasant diff-then-patch logic into the CVS
module so that it can break all by its lonesome.

Meld no longer supports RCS.

cheers,
Kai