Re: Meld 1.7.3 released

On 8 June 2013 23:43, Keegan Witt <keeganwitt gmail com> wrote:
I would like to get the source for Portable Python (that's been a long time
request), but there's not too much of a worry in that you're not using
closed-source binaries, it's just the source for the installer isn't open
yet.  See the conversation here:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/portablepython/H6eygvoIepA/QQxcrWLgRYcJ.

Sure. This isn't a huge deal, it's just that without it we're shipping
stuff we can't rebuild from source, and so we really can't serve it
from gnome.org. In some golden future if we get to a stage where we
have a Windows build running from the repository (with *lots* of
external packages, obviously), then brilliant.

I don't know that I can do much, but if you have continuing issues
with installer hosting please bring it up! I don't want to see this
resource go away.

only looked very briefly at doing py2exe, it looked a bit complicated to get
GTK working with it, though it's very possible this was because of my lack
of Python knowledge.

Nope... I'm pretty sure it looked complicated because it's really
complicated! One of the huge downsides of using PyGTK is that we get
to ship GTK + sundry, PyGTK + sundry and, if we're really lucky,
Python + sundry. It's not simple. I had a stab at doing this on OSX a
while ago and got a working package, but could never recreate the
build environment with any success.

cheers,
Kai

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Kai Willadsen <kai willadsen gmail com>