Re: Version 1.7.0 shows a lot of "waiting cursors" on windows

On 31 January 2013 09:33, Angel Ezquerra <angel ezquerra gmail com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 8:58 PM, Kai Willadsen <kai willadsen gmail com> wrote:
>> On 29 January 2013 16:47, Angel Ezquerra <angel ezquerra gmail com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> A few days ago Keegan Witt who makes the Meld for windows installer
>>> gave me a 1.7.0 based installer. This worked well but I noticed that
>>> compared to 1.6.1 it seems to show a lot of "waiting cursors".
>>>
>>> What I mean by this is that when you move the cursor over some (many)
>>> of the elements of the GUI the cursor changes from the regular windows
>>> arrow cursor to the "blue spinning circle" "waiting" cursor.
>>>
>>> Is that normal?
>>
>> Not as far as I know. We don't explicitly set cursors anywhere, so
>> that's presumably GTK on Windows deciding to set the cursor? Is this
>> actually accompanied by slowness or anything diagnosable?
>>
>> cheers,
>> Kai
>
> I got a little more info on this. If I run meld using python.exe I do
> not get these "waiting cursors". I only get them if I use pythonw.exe
> to run meld.

Until very recently, Meld didn't run at all under pythonw. I have no
idea why python and pythonw would behave differently though... we
don't do anything different other than redirecting stderr and stdout
to null for pythonw. Feel free to file a bug of course.

cheers,
Kai