Re: conflict resolution in Meld

On 22 April 2013 22:55, Adam Dingle <adam medovina org> wrote:
I'm trying to understand the state of conflict resolution (for git) in Meld
today.  I know this is a new feature and there have been a bunch of messages
about this on this mailing list in the last few months, but those are
somewhat detailed and I'm trying to get the big picture.

I'm using meld from git master.  When I run git mergetool on the command
line, I see a meld comparison with LOCAL, BASE and REMOTE.  I can merge
changes from LOCAL and REMOTE into BASE and save them, and they end up in
the working directory in a place that git understands.  In short, this works
pretty well.

When I open Meld in source control view and double click a conflicting file,
I see something completely different.  I see three panes presenting REMOTE,
MERGED (i.e. git's merge output with conflict markers) and LOCAL.  All three
of these panes point to files in /tmp which are read-only.  I can merge my
changes into the central pane, but can't save them without manually choosing
a filename to save to.  This seems much less useful.

Questions:

1. It seems strange to me that opening a conflicting file from Meld's source
control view produces a different result than running git mergetool.
Shouldn't these be exactly the same?  Will they be?

It would be nice, but git mergetool stuff defaults are shipped by Git,
and they've chosen to use BASE instead of MERGED. I'm starting to
think that I'm the only person in the world who wants my conflicts
pre-merged in there, so the Meld default may change in the future.

2. Is the second view I described above (with the read-only files in /tmp)
only partially implemented or broken?  Could it not be just the same as the
git mergetool view, which works pretty well already?  Or am I missing
something here?

Yeah... that was just an exciting bug. I've pushed a fix. I've only
tested with Git, though if Mercurial was working then I'd be very
interested to know why. The middle pane should be the output pane, and
will go to the actual file being merged, with only the left and right
read-only.

Please check out the change I've made and see if you notice other
issues with the merge view. As you said, it's a new feature.

cheers,
Kai