Re: UTF-16 support?

On 5 April 2013 13:43, Nick <nospam codesniffer com> wrote:

On Fri, 2013-04-05 at 06:12 +1000, Kai Willadsen wrote:
On 5 April 2013 00:06, Nick <nospam codesniffer com> wrote:
Meld is currently working for me exactly as I want it, so such an option
isn't needed by me.  But if it were pursued, I ask that the current
capability be preserved.

By 'current capability' I assume you mean the ability to have a list
of encodings to try?

Not necessarily.  I mean the feature of being able to display files w/
different encodings w/out me having to manually select/specify them for
each file.  Whether that be the current form where multiple encodings
are specified, or an auto-detect method, or something else works for me.
Auto-detect seems like it will produce false positives and/or false
negatives in some situations, so having some way to force it to behave
as expected seems like a good idea.

Right. With auto-detect, there would have to be an override. Whether
that's a drop-down in the open-file dialog or in the 'whoops, we
couldn't open this file' infobox, or something else... I don't know.

cheers,
Kai