Re: Meld 1.5.3 released

On 29 January 2012 14:25, Bálint Réczey <balint balintreczey hu> wrote:
> Hi Kai,
>
> Do you plan showing some statistics about the number of
> downloads/estimates userbase on the new page?
<snip>

I wasn't planning to include this, no. It's certainly interesting to
me, but I can't imagine that most Meld users really care. If anyone
else here *is* interested, the new site has received about 10000
'unique' visitors in the month since it went live, where 'live' =
'became the redirect target from the old sourceforge site'.

> I think the Meld roadmap would also be a very useful addition to the
> new website.
> I have been asked about the Meld roadmap many times and  I had to
> direct the people to
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/meld-list/2010-July/msg00000.html for
> the information.

That sounds like a good idea. The problem is always that any roadmap
ends up being more than a little fictional... like the one you linked
above! I could put up a list of "stuff that's currently actually being
worked on", as a substitute for a roadmap. I'll certainly think about
doing this in future.

In case people are interested, the things I'm looking at landing when
I get a chance are:

 * autotools port (still uncertain whether this is a good idea, but
there are reasons...)
 * port to use gtkrc colours (This involves a weird trade-off. It
makes life *worse* for dark theme users, but also makes it possible
for them to fix things to be better.)
 * add a Cython version of MyersMatcher (the only remaining issue
being how it integrates with the current and future build process)

All of these are actually done, but for various reasons haven't been
pushed. Some may be quite disruptive, so I'm contemplating whether to
do a 1.6.0 first, then land these in a new 1.7 series.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

cheers,
Kai