Re: [patch]:change, which allows to work with selections.

On 28 April 2011 11:31, Oleg LARIN <oleg larin st com> wrote:

If I understand correctly, these changes are supposed to allow
treating selected text as a diff chunk for the sake of certain
actions.

The "Copy above/below" changes seem the most useful. However, if/when
there is an action for changing between panes (working on it), I'm not
sure I see significant benefit to this support over a simple
copy/switch/paste. How do you see this being used?

The "Replace" changes seem dubious to me, as I don't think that the
provided behaviour is at all what a user would expect. Finally,
there's no reason to support the "Delete" action, since the user can
accomplish exactly the same thing by hitting Backspace or Delete.

In any case, the patch incorrectly changes the semantics of the
*_chunk methods, which specifically deal with doing something to a
chunk. If any of these changes were to go in to Meld, I think we'd
want to create a fake diff chunk from the current selection, and then
call the existing chunk action methods with that. However, I'm not
convinced that it's a good idea.

cheers,
Kai