Meld "bug" when using git

I have discovered that if I attempt to use meld to diff a file in a git
working directory I must be in the "root" directory. If am lower in the
directory tree the diff does not work and I get a dialog that says
"Invoking 'patch' failed." I have traced the problem to lines 495-498 in
vcview.py. The problem is in the attempt to copy the file from the
working directory to the temporary directory where the baseline file
will be re-created using the patch. The path name to the file in the git
diff patch includes the path relative to the working directory root.
When the copy is attempted the file cannot be found.

I considered fixing the problem myself, but I was not sure what the
proper solution would be.

Thanks,
Mark Smith

Git version 1.7.1