Re: Meld roadmap proposals

Kai,

As a low level firmware developer (embedded controllers),
I use meld to merge 'C' and asm text between files.

Often times the diff engine fragments the differences in my
text so badly that meld becomes useless.  Common segments of
text split the diff in very odd and non-helpful ways.  I
recognize algorithmic marking of file differences is a very
complex effort, probably beyond the scope of the meld project.

It would be a nice feature to have a mode where a user can
manually select a block of text and an insertion point and
then move the selected left or right as intended.

I have no expectations about this feature. It is merely a
suggestion that would make meld more useful to me.  I don't
have needed the experience programming GUI stuff to send you
patches.

I am grateful for the work you have done and use meld when
I can.  If you don't want to add this feature to your roadmap,
life will go on and I will continue to use meld.

Regards,
Ray