Re: history digging with git (was: [RFC] Off-by-one in linkmap cairo drawing ?)

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 9:49 PM, Martin Renold <martinxyz gmx ch> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 09:15:32AM +0100, Stephen Kennedy wrote:
>> That was quite tedious to find using cgit and gitk. Does anybody
>> know is it not possible with git to jump directly to the diff which
>> corresponds to a given line of a given revision? e.g. like:
>> http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/meld/trunk/filediff.py?annotate=1331&pathrev=1333
>
> I was looking for the same thing for some time now, and I have not found a
> single program that does it.  But I discovered something even better!
>
> Git allows you to grep through all diffs. In your example, I saw the comment
> "bezier" above the code of interest, and, using this as an "anchor keyword",
>
> git log -p -Sbezier

Thanks Martin, that's a good trick to know. I recently found that qgit can do
a reasonable job. Turn on the tree view (T), then you get an annotated file
history by double clicking a file. Double clicking a line goes to the commit
which introduced that line and you can view it with (Ctrl+P).

Stephen.