Re: Caching merged diffs

2009/7/11 Stephen Kennedy <stevek gnome org>:
It's reasonable then to put the diff computation & most of the i/o in a
subprocess, which would make the ui much more responsive.
Regarding ui responsiveness, I am sending a patch that tries to improve performance of inline highlighting.
Test case:
1) run "meld filediff.py meldapp.py"
2) type something in either of the panes
3) wait.... :)
I know it is not a real-life example, but it shows exactly what the issue is.
Patch:
I added a simple cache that stores replace chunks. The cache is updated and checked in _update_highlighting(). Chunks that did not change are not taken into account and as a result inline highlighting becomes somewhat incremental. Moreover I could not find any place where "delete line", "conflict line" or "replace line" tags are set so I changed this piece of code and remove_tag() is called for "inline line" only.

Comments welcome.

Cheers,
Piotr