Re: Preference reduction

Kai,

Great job on the new preferences! Much prettier and Gnome-ish.
Modeline parsing would be great, but on the other hand a simple
menu item would go a long way.

As regards the filters, I agree an additional unmodifiable filter string is the
way to go. I wonder is it easy to disable editing on certain cells if both the
builtin and custom stings are merged? The transition could be fairly painless
if we simply remove user filters which exactly match the builtin ones (keeping
the enabled flag)

>> Related to both editor and filter preferences further in the future is
>> the fact that one will usually want filters & settings to be enabled
>> based on the file type. That will make things much more complex
>> however and I have yet to see a good UI for this feature - suggestions
>> welcome here.
>
> I've had exactly the same thought, and also failed to come up with a
> good UI. Most IDEs simply go with a drop down of supported mime types
> and configuration options for each of those. It's very ugly, but just
> serviceable if you don't expose too many options per mime type. I'll
> see if I can come up with anything; I'd love to stop having to change
> these settings when I swap between C and python.

Yes, luckily it's not so bad for meld because there are so few options
which differ.
Tab size, tabs-as-space and active filters are the only ones which come to mind
as critical.

Stephen.