Re: opening new diffs in existing window

> I really like meld for visual diffing, but I often have several files
> diffed at the same time, so it would be very helpful to have new diffs
> open in an existing meld window - something that for example gedit
> currently does. To be precise, I would like meld to check, on startup,
> if there's another instance open already and if it is, open the
> requested diff in a new tab in the existing window. What's great is
> that meld already has tabs - all we need to do is check for an
> existing instance on startup, and pass it the arguments.

The most modern gnomish library for handling IPC is probably dbus, and
appears to be what evince uses for this type of "successive concurrent
executions open within the original parent process" functionality. See

dbus is certainly the way to go here. The python binding are quite good too.

It would also solve another tricky problem. Meld does not return a
useful exit code because of the tabbed interface, which confuses some
tools. It would be great to have a helper app which can open a single
tab and wait for its exit status.

Stephen.