Re: VC backend

Ali Afshar <aafshar <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I have been using the VC backend now for a month or so inside PIDA, and
> things are really lovely. For now I have included the entire package
> with the PIDA source (until a time when the backend is released
> separately.)

> I have, however made a few changes and am slightly concerned about my
> tree getting out of sync. [...]
>
> I would be happy to take over the overall maintenance of the Vc package
> if you guys would like, ensure releases, updates etc. Of course, I will
> be guided by Stephen and the Meld team.
>
> Otherwise, where should I send the patches? To the individual plugin
> authors? Here?

Hi Ali, I'm delighted to see that you find the VC backend useful.
I've merged most of your changes into melds vc directory. It's probably
easiest if patches are posted here, rather than to the authors as I don't
know if everybody has gnome cvs access.

As regards the future of the VC project, the current implementation
was only intended as a strawman to find issues with non cvs-like systems.
I wouldn't like it to become widespread in its current form :)

We probably have enough info now for a better design.

Here's what I have in mind: a shell command "anyvc" which accepts the most
common commands and returns output on stdout in a very machine friendly format.
A python module which can parse that output.

It's a little more work to parse, but it does mean that the "anyvc"
commands can be written in any language, and indeed parsing modules
could be written for different languages. Finally, subprocesses are
easier to handle from non threaded programs. Like meld for instance :)

What do you think? Would you be interested in collaborating on a
project like that?

Stephen.