Re: Meld comments

On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 14:09 +0530, Bharath Bhushan wrote:
> I installed meld-1.0.0 and it is a very nice tool. Some comments.

Thanks Bharath. I really appreciate detailed feedback.
It's very rare. Though not as rare as patches ;-)

> 2. The ubuntu hoary package (meld-0.9.4) is lacking in text for many
> icons and has no tooltips.

I'm using 1.0.0 which has text and tooltips for all icons. I seem
to remember a gtk+ or glade bug which broke tooltips though.

> 3. The arrows, crosses and plusses appear when ctrl, alt, shift is
> pressed. This is not exposed in the menus and not documented. But it
> is a neat way to expose the operations. The crosses behave
> erratically. They remain as crosses if press ALT-TAB but just pressing
> ALT makes them appear and releasing ALT makes them arrows.

Yep, if the window loses focus, the app never gets the alt keyup
message. I need to find out how to get the modifier state on window
focus. IIRC there were some problems with getting such events when
using notebooks. I've been lazy about this one because its cosmetic.

> 5. Continuously holding ctrl-z does not undo continuously. I have to
> do it many times over.

Strange. This works for me.

> 4. No keyboard shortcut to move between the windows or between the
> two/three panes within a diff window.

This has come up before, can you post again to this list with
suggested keybindings? Ctrl+PgUp/PgDown normally moves between
pages of a notebook. I'm not sure where they are getting swallowed.
Also add any others which you would find useful.

> 6. The file browser is different from that used by other gtk apps and
> does not show the network servers.

I've updated this on the CVS HEAD. In any case, meld does not
currently use gnomevfs so you couldn't use vfs urls anyway :/
Meld uses python universal newline support. Not sure if this
is available if gnomevfs is used.

> 7. I can't move the bar at the center towards left/right. Both panes
> are forced to be of same size.

Yep, nice to have. If you have an example of resizing by dragging
a drawing area, I'll certainly merge it into meld :)

> 8. At the bar at the extreme left and extreme right where the place of
> the difference is shown as a small rectangular mark, some are green
> and some black. I can't guess why they are of different colours.

If you have a large file with small changes, the mark outline might
be obscure the mark colour itself. Is this what you see?

> Do you have plans to add support for perforce repository browsing and
> operations? I would like to do some development in this direction.
> Please give some tips regarding this.

If the author of vcpx (see other post in this list) is going to support
it, then meld may. I've no plans to support anything else than cvs at
the minute because I've no way of testing.

Regards,
Stephen.
--
Stephen Kennedy <stevek gnome org>