Re: Feedback/bugs on meld-0.9.5

> I've been using meld for some time now and I must say I'm impressed by
> how powerful and easy to use/friendly the software is. It does all I
> want : syntax highlighting (killer feature), character diffing on each
> line, line numbers, besides a good diffing algo. So thank you for this
> good package!

Hi Vincent, glad you like it!

> I have meld 0.9.5 using gnome-python-2.10.0, pygtk-2.6.0, pyorbit-2.0.1
> and python-2.4.1.
>
> Here is the list of problems I encounter :
> + deprecation warnings message when launched from command-line :

Yes, unfortunately there is nothing to be done about this since I want
meld to be compatible with all versions of pygtk back to 2.0. I will
probably release a slightly modified 0.9.5 as 1.0

There is a new version in progress in parallel using all the latest
(py)gtk functions and new apis such as dbus etc and a scm plugin
architecture.

> + "Down" and "Up" buttons not working at all (I suppose these are to
> jump from diff to diff inside the file).

Don't know about this one - it works for me. I tested using the debian
package from unstable.

> + changing the font (preferences) when a diff is active make the
> scrollbars go up and down automatically in the background (as the diff
> is recomputed with the new font) but this doesn't stop, even after the
> diff is recomputed/dialog is closed. I have to manually hold the
> scrollbar and move it at top/bottom for this to stop.

Again, this works for me. Can you send sample files to reproduce?

> + the Col/Line Number text does not work : it does appears only when I
> click on a line (should say Line 1, Col 1 at startup instead) and is not
> refreshed anymore after that.
> + the bug about line/column number only occurs on mouse events : if I
> move using the cursor keys, everything is fine (information is
> updated).

Yep, this is a bug - I've should have connected to the "mark-moved"
signal which will catch both events.

> + help does not work. I have the following Python trace in the
> background :
> + "Report a bug" item does not work either :

Meld defers to opening of documents to gnome. Maybe you don't have a
handler set up? Can you verify that the paths meld is trying to open are
correct?

> + the last bug mentioned on the "Contribution" section of the site

Thanks, the website is a little out of date.

Stephen.
--
Stephen Kennedy <stevek gnome org>
http://meld.sf.net visual diff and merge