Re: meld for win32

> I love meld but I miss it when coding on win32.
>
>  From using meld, I couldn't see anything obvious that depended on gnome
> as opposed to just gtk.

On the cvs head, I'm in the process of removing all libgnome/libgnomeui
dependencies. That should help somewhat. I think gconf could be replaced
by a stub quite easily on win32, so there's not too much of a barrier.

> Then I found your cvs repository on the GNOME server(a link from the
> meld homepage to cvs and the mailing list would be helpful by the way).
> Even though you haven't released in a year, you've certainly been busy.

It's only been half a year! :) Alas, I no longer have internet access
beyond email and cvs. So I can't update the web pages nor make a
release. I was hoping that there would be enough donations to fund it,
but beyond a very generous $100 and several smaller ones, its been
pretty poor.

> Anyway, I think meld for win32 would be a bit of fiddling. I don't know
> if I would ever actually do it. But assuming I did, would you be
> interested at all in incorporating a patch for win32 compatibility?

I think a win32 port would be excellent and have been keeping it in mind
while developing the last few versions. But...

To be honest, I've little enough time as it is to maintain just the *nix
versions and can imagine a large support burden for a port. See how high
windiff always is in the sf.net stats? So I'm not super keen to accept a
patch unless it comes with a maintainer or preferably maintenance
team ;-)

This is working really well on *nix at the moment - there are lots of
maintainers for the individual distro packages and I almost never get
install related/distro specific mail.

Stephen.
--
Stephen Kennedy <stevek gnome org>