installing mc on WD nas MyCloud

Anybody know how to install? WD uses Linux for its OS but makes life as difficult as it can for Linux users to use their NAS boxes.

It does not have apitude, apt, apt-get available.

There is one guide on the forum pages but it bounces when I attempt to get files from Debian. Currently I ssh into nas in one pane of MC then open (alt I ) other in same directory.  Works but would be easier if could use natively.

Thanks,

William