ha! I finally figured out the correct way to make file links in midnight commander

I have a lot of files all over the directory tree, and it would be nice to keep directory with links to *every* file I'm working on (a dozen links or so)

So I would use soft and hard links on a *nix filesystem, so I can launch files from the directory with the links.    Hard links would allow the original file to be renamed or deleted without a problem.

Step 0:  Make the directory to put think new links in  as the source directory.  Then make sure the CURRENT FILE is what you want in the PASSIVE panel.

# shell command for a hard link.   %D/%F means PASSIVEDIR/PASSIVE-CURRENT-FILE
ln  %D/%F .

#shell command for a soft link
ln -s %D/%F .

Cheers,