Re: ordinary files in rpm file not displayed/accessible

Andrew Borodin composed on 2019-08-14 16:01 (UTC+0300):

Thank you for your response!

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 05:03:06 -0400 Felix Miata via mc wrote:

On "entry" to 132k
http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/x86_64/MozillaFirefox-branding-upstream-68.0.1-2.1.x86_64.rpm
or
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/x86_64/MozillaFirefox-branding-upstream-68.0.1-1.13.x86_64.rpm
(downloaded with zypper)
all directories are displayed as empty, not expected behavior.

Why do you think so?

It seemed incongruous for any other explanation for such large rpm size for only a
 directory tree plus docs. Had I thought at the time to simply copy out the
changelog its surprisingly large size would have been obvious. :-p

$ rpm2cpio MozillaFirefox-branding-upstream-68.0.1-1.13.x86_64.rpm | cpio -t
./usr/lib64/firefox
1 block

Archive is correct. Single empty directory is in it.

I tried to find explanation of -t in cpio man page after your response. No luck. :~(

The 132k is filled by huge packet changelog:

$ rpm -qp --changelog MozillaFirefox-branding-upstream-68.0.1-1.13.x86_64.rpm | wc -c
129549

Is there a compression scheme missing from mc packaging that causes this?
Does mc.ext need some sort of customization? Something else? Bug report?

MC is powerless to do anything here.

So that means only rpm | wc could do this, no way to get the process of
discovering changelog size into MC? I've long been puzzled that so much content of
rpm shown by MC has reported 0 size, but I'm happy to have MC as it is. I don't
know how so many people can function without even knowing what an OFM is.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/