Edit menu file?

This query previously posted from a wrong account: Sorry!
Q: How to create a selectable menu of directories in a F2-menu entry?

A very useful facility would be the ability to move files to an
evolving list of Dirs, as you browse your empire: possibly a DirTree
of several mounted devices and partitions; since entropy dictates
that when you go to buy X, you're bound to see Y & Z, which you now
remember, that you also need.

I've started editing: <0       Edit a bug report and send it to root>
   towards:
0       Select Dir for current file to move to:
        read -p "index of DestDir=" DestDir
        echo "mv %f $DestDir"

Previously, on systems that only had a shell I'd made a hack simulating
mc's visual/selectable-file-list, with a numbered file-listing, where
the entered number sets the file which becomes the argument of the
action.

How should I be able to pass the selection of a Directory-Menu to:
  mv %f <Dir>
?