Re: Desparately need mc for Win8.1 64bit?

chris glur composed on 2016-09-17 08:16 (UTC):

After my linux sytem was stolen, and the inet-connection needed
Microsoft-compatible compatability, I was forced to buy a M$
laptop. The frustrating thing is Win8.1 64-bit;

But eg.
  https://sourceforge.net/directory/%3Fq%3Dmidnight%2Bcommander%2B64/
shows:
  Connecting to sourceforge.net (sourceforge.net)|216.34.181.60|
:443... connected.

I get 404 too.

  and
http://www.download3k.com/Install-Midnight-Commander.html
  mentions only Win7 for 64 bit.

I'd not expect different binaries for W7 and W8.1.

How else can I get mc-like facilities, when being forced to
use this cartoon-based thing to make inet-connection, in my
3rd-world location?!

MC is an OFM, a class of several similar apps:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OFM

On OS/2 and Windows I use only File Commander:
http://silk.apana.org.au/fc.html

On Linux I use FC and MC. Each has strengths not shared by the other. Visually they are little different. It's hard to do without either on Linux.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/