From: Erdmut Pfeifer [mailto:e pfeifer science-computing de]
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2016 06:24 PM
To: david leighweb com
Cc: mc gnome org
Subject: Re: Static build of mc

You don't necessarily need to create a statically linked version to get it
to run on a different box. just pack up all required shared libs (use "ldd"
to find out which) plus the dynamic loader itself. The dynamic loader is
normally invoked indirectly via the system, but nothing keeps you from
calling it directly, passing it the name of the dynamically linked binary to
run and the directory where the packed-up libs reside - see "man ld.so" for
details ("ld.so" is the generic name of the dynamic loader, the actual name
on today's 64-bit boxes is typically ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, which itself is a
symlink to ld-<version>.so).
The loader is a statically linked binary, and thus doesn't need any libs
itself.

As I found myself needing something like this rather frequently, I've put
together a little Perl script which automates these steps. Please find it
included below (I've inlined it, as I'm not sure if the mailing list does
allow attachments). Call it without arguments to get a short usage message.

If you have installed/built a version of mc which works on your local
machine/VirtualBox, you could, for example, say

$ cp-deps mc ~/mytools/mc

(~/mytools/mc is the directory where everything will be put)

The script creates a basic wrapper which you can then tweak as needed.
In the case of mc, you probably want to set the env variable MC_DATADIR to
point to a directory with mc's helper/config files (which you must copy
yourself (e.g. /usr/lib/mc, /usr/share/mc, /etc/mc) - the script doesn't
know anything about the specifics of certain programs, it just copies the
files mentioned in the ldd output):

  #!/bin/sh

  # adjust this path if you move the installation
  myINSTDIR=/home/username/mytools/mc

  myEXE=$myINSTDIR/mc.bin
  myLIBDIR=$myINSTDIR/lib
  myLDSO=$myLIBDIR/ld.so

  export MC_DATADIR=$myINSTDIR/mclib

  # uncomment to enable debug output (like ldd)
  #$myLDSO --library-path $myLIBDIR --list $myEXE

  exec $myLDSO --library-path $myLIBDIR $myEXE "$@"

If using MC_DATADIR doesn't work, you might try putting the files mc warns
about not finding in ~/.local/share/mc, ~/.mc or similar.
(Where mc looks for files seems to depend on buildtime configuration -
"strace -efile ..." is your friend to find out where it actually looks)

Finally, scp or rsync everything to your remote box, make sure myINSTDIR is
set correctly, and put the wrapper (or a symlink to it) somewhere on your
$PATH. You should then be able to start mc even though the remote box has an
incompatible glibc version, etc.
Good luck!

--- start of the script cp-deps ---

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;

sub usage {
    print "\nCopy shared library dependencies of an executable into some
directory\n\n";
    print "Usage: $0 <program> [<dest_dir>]\n";
    print "  e.g. $0 vim [vim_standalone]\n\n";
    exit 1;
}
usage() unless @ARGV >= 1;

my ($program, $destdir) = @ARGV;

my ($prg_name) = $program =~ m|([^/]+)/*$|; $destdir =
"./${prg_name}_standalone" unless $destdir; my $libdir = "$destdir/lib";

sub copy {
    my $lib  = shift;
    print "$lib\n";
    system 'cp', '-fa', $lib, $libdir;

}

my $exe = qx(which $program)  # ldd doesn't look in PATH
          or die "Failed to determine path of $program"; chomp $exe;

for my $dir ($destdir, $libdir) {
    unless (-d $dir) {
        mkdir $dir or die "Couldn't create $dir: $!";
    }
}

for my $dep (split /\n/, qx(ldd $exe) ) {
    my ($lib) = $dep =~ m|=>\s+(\S+)\s+\(0x|;  # extract lib path
    unless (defined $lib) {
        # we want the dynamic loader, too
        ($lib) = $dep =~ m|(/lib.*/ld-linux.*\.so\S*)|;
        if (defined $lib) {
            my ($ld_so) = $lib =~ m|([^/]+)$|;
            symlink $ld_so, "$libdir/ld.so";   # additional unified link
        }
    }
    if (defined $lib) {
        unless (-l $lib) {
            copy $lib;

        } else {  # symlink
            print "$lib\n";
            my ($name) = $lib =~ m|([^/]+)$|;  # orig link name
            while (-l $lib) {  # resolve...
                my $path = $lib;
                $lib = readlink $lib;
                unless ($lib =~ m|^/|) {  # relative ?
                    (my $dir = $path) =~ s|[^/]+$||;
                    $lib = $dir.$lib;
                }
            }
            copy $lib;  # resolved path
            my ($file) = $lib =~ m|([^/]+)$|;  # name of resolved/copied
file
            my $lnk = "$libdir/$name";
            unlink $lnk;
            symlink $file, $lnk; # create directory-local link
        }
        print "\n";
    }
}

my ($exe_name) = $exe =~ m|([^/]+)$|;
system 'cp', '-faL', $exe, "$destdir/$exe_name.bin";

#####

use Cwd;
my $instdir = Cwd::realpath($destdir);

my $wrapper = "$destdir/$exe_name";
open my $fh, ">", $wrapper or die "Couldn't create wrapper $wrapper: $!";

print $fh <<"EOF";
#!/bin/sh

# adjust this path if you move the installation myINSTDIR=$instdir

myEXE=\$myINSTDIR/$exe_name.bin
myLIBDIR=\$myINSTDIR/lib
myLDSO=\$myLIBDIR/ld.so

# uncomment to enable debug output (like ldd) #\$myLDSO --library-path
\$myLIBDIR --list \$myEXE

exec \$myLDSO --library-path \$myLIBDIR \$myEXE "\$@"
EOF

close $fh;
chmod 0755, $wrapper, "$destdir/$exe_name.bin";

--- end of script ---