Re: Privacy option?

(Replying to a post in the mailing list archive, so apologies for lack
of threading.)

On May 20, 2016, Toby wrote:
I usually enable the privacy option on GUI desktop systems / file
managers, which prevents them from keeping a menu of recently accessed
files and directories, because I find the feature more troublesome than
useful.

In plain Bash terminals instead I use a "private window" concept,
borrowed from web browsers. Whenever I'm about to work on private data I
type 'unset HISTFILE', after which all following commands typed into that
window won't be saved in .bash_history

(You can make it so that the Bash spawned under MC does this automatically.)

Is there a similar option for mc? Either a global option to avoid saving
activity history (such as recently accessed files, directories, and
commands) or a temporary switch akin to "private window"?

Otherwise, has anybody come up with some hook or script to do that?

I took a look at the files kept by mc and I found the following:

~/.local/share/mc/history
~/.local/share/mc/filepos
~/.cache/mc/Tree

The first is the most troublesome file. I only want to keep the
[user-fmt-input] and [mini_input] sections there (which are really
configuration history, rather than activity history) and get rid of
everything else. The second file contains activity history of recently
edited files and the third contains the directories browsed using Tree
view, so they need to go as well.

I just cleaned up those three files and gave them root:root 644
permissions, which seems to be doing the trick: it keeps them read-only
with no visible error message. But I'm wondering if there's a better
option out there.

I don't know if it helps, but MC respects the following environment variables:

XDG_CONFIG_HOME
XDG_DATA_HOME
XDG_CACHE_HOME

Google them. You can create a shell script to launch a "private" MC
that puts all these under ~/.private or whatever.

(I see that MC stores the "Directory hotlist" data in CONFIG, not
DATA. This looks wrong.)

(Tip: you can make your "private" MC use a different skin than the regular one.)