Re: How to know when mc is running in a terminal

Thanks frank. The answer was in front of my nose the whole time.

Environment variable MC_TMPDIR can be used to know that you're being
called from mc. For some reason MC_SID disappears but MC_TMPDIR does
not.

I needed something more specific than just knowing whether I'm
in pts or not. I want to know if it's mc's F4 EDIT command calling, or
at least being called from a terminal with mc running in it.

if [ -n "$DISPLAY" -a -n "$MC_TMPDIR" ]; then
    # we're being called from mc in XWindow terminal
    do_something_odd
fi