Re: mc Digest, Vol 120, Issue 7

Chris, I don't completely understand. Please see my comments in-line,
below.

On Sat, 31 May 2014, chris glur wrote:

Re. hardware with unfamiliar keybrd:
the hardware must adjust to YOU.

First, are you familiar with the Samsung Chromebook keyboard? There are
missing keys. Keys which most of us use quite often. And those keys are
not switched around. They are simply not there. So, exactly what I am
trying to do is to make the hardware adjust to me.

If we've been accustomed to 'asdf' for decades,
we shouldn't need to re-adjust to 'afds'.

Unfortunately, it is worse than that. Just supposeing that you were
confronted with  keyboard which had something like 'a(missing key)(another
missing key) f' then exactly what would you do about that? And by "missing
key" what I precisely mean is that there is a blank area on the keyboard
where those two keys are supposed to be, between the 'a' and the 'f' keys.
Suppose further that the machine otherwise had a nice CPU and a cheap
price and intersting hardware features.

Well, the situation is not that bad, actually. All the alphanumeric keys
are present. But, to reiterate,

1. there is no Delete key, so just for starters there is no
Cntrl-Alt-Delete for rebooting.

2. The PageUp and PageDown and Home and
End keys are not physically present, either.

3. no Insert key.

4. no keypad, and no substitute for it by use of, for example, a 'Fn' key
which re-maps some of the alphanumeric keys to other meanings when it is
used in combination with them.

Over a period of decades, many laptops of various
brands have resorted to the use of the 'Fn" key in order to double up on
the meanings of some of the keys, most particularly in order to remap
some other keys to the keypad keys. I am almost certain that you have seen
sometime during your life a laptop which has such a key on it and perhaps
have even used it. But the Samsung 303 Chromebook does not have any such
key. And you can't use some other key for that. The Wikipedia article on
the 'Fn' key might help to explain why not.

If chromebook breaks
PC-keybrd conventions,
this will be worked on by many other users [besides mc], who will do
the research for you.

Funny, that is what I happen to be working on at the moment. And I have
had some success, though I could try something else in the future. And you
are trying to tell me to sit and wait until someone else does it?

I think it would be far more helpful to me if you, or someone, could give
me a brief overview of how that MC recogizes the keys you pressed.

Specifically, it appears that MC does not consult or use the console
keymap files and the lists of key codes which they give, and the
functionality which is associated in those files with the respective
keycodes. As evidence for this statement, I can say that changing those
key mappings in certain ways leads to results which are visible in the
console and on the command line, provided that one is not running MC in
the foreground. But if one opens MC, then some of those re-mappings
which I created are inoperative inside of MC or the MC editor.

If I am wrong in what I say just above, it would be very nice to have an
explanation of what is wrong about it. But if I am right or even if I am
wrong then it would be even nicer to have an explanation of what is really
happening instead.

I did not ask you or anyone else to go and get busy right now and do a
bunch of work and drastically re-code everything related to the keyboard.
What I wanted was some information about how the keyboard access works in
MC as of now. It could be that there has been some misunderstanding on
your part.

Theodore Kilgore