Re: Suppress directory not empty message

On 2013–09–09 Mike Smithson wrote:

1. Write a special dialog where the user can choose which dialogs
get shown, and which don't. I believe there is more to this than
meets the eye. Easier said than done, as they say. Which dialogs
should be optional, and what should they default to if they don't
get shown?

That would be an option, indeed.

2. Hack your source and comment out the offending dialog calls.
I have done this myself with the "Edit extension file" dialog
where it always asks "[Local] [User] [System Wide]".
The only one I ever edit is [User], so I made it skip the dialog
and go for that one automatically. Hey, that's what having
the source code means to me:)

I, for one, very much appreciate the second 'Directory not empty'
dialog, because my usual habits are to go through work directories
once in a while on garbage cleanup duty.

I never said this message should be removed from mc.

When I hit delete I actually want to delete the file >99% of the
times and the last dialogue doesn't save me in the <1% cases. Muscle
memory always wins. Being trained to confirm it three times doesn't
make it more secure, in my opinion.

Accidentally removing a sprawling subtree seems to me far worse
than having to hit ENTER one more time.

With regular backups in place accidental deletion of directory
trees isn't that big of a deal.

Another option would be to make use of the trash can (like the
trash-cli utility does), instead of deleting the files. As a second
option, of course. I still want to be able to delete files. That
wouldn't require multiple dialogue boxes and saves the data even
without a regular backup.

As an addendum, after a quick peek at the source, in
filemanager/file.c, you could just add a line 672:

ctx->recursive_result = RECURSIVE_ALWAYS;

That did the trick! It would be nice to have it configurable,
though. A GUI dialogue box is not even required, an option in the
configuration file would be totally sufficient.

Thanks for your response, changing the source is not a perfect
solution but a decent workaround.

Marco