Re: background or foreground copies, CPU eating

Hello Yury,

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 22:00:19 +0100 "Yury V. Zaytsev" <yury shurup com> wrote:

On Fri, 2013-12-13 at 10:47 +0100, wwp wrote:

Could anyone tell me what's the difference between foreground and
background copies? Are background copies being 'niced' down or
low-system prioritized? If so, could that be an option for foreground
copies, to make them more user-friendly?

I think that this has been discussed before and the conclusion was that
it's related to the perpetual re-drawing of the copy progress dialog.

Unfortunately, if you redraw it often enough, it slows things down, but
if you don't, then it's not interactive anymore...

I'm not sure whether there is a nice solution to this problem, other
than using background operations, when you know in advance that it will
take a lot of time.

Hm maybe.. I just wonder how does the copy process handle non
interaction, in case of overwrite, read or write error handling etc.

Anyway, the background copy does really work faster for slow devices,
this is great.

I think I'll get a look to the sources in order to understand exactly
how it works, when I get spare time (meaning, not tomorrow ;-) ).

Thanks!

Regards,

--
wwp