Re: Respect XDG environment variables

On Tuesday 12 June 2012, Paul Westell wrote:

These XDG* variables have to point somewhere in the user's home directory
anyway don't they?

Of course

Systems can differ widely in structure, but where else can
write permissions be _guaranteed_ for any given user accross distributions?
It
appears you are just assigning new names to the default resources, but all
must still be in $HOME.

Of course. For me on servers this will be ".prefs" with some subdirs, for KDE
- ordinary KDE dirs

If MC is expected to write to XDG dirctories in common with other XDG
compliant programs, will MC need some sort of rewrite so that entries for
XDG?

Mmmm. Sorry, not understand - MC use entries, which does not conform XDG?

Your patch also appears to allow the possibility that MC will have two
independant resource structures for each user. One used when MC is initiated
from the command-line, and another (possibly concurrent) when initiated from
within GUI. Duplication is not always a bad thing, but how is /this/ an
asset?

Again not understand - XDG variables usually set from script, started with
login shell (for me is .cshrc). Where is a way to make duplicate set of
settings? When user log in, they have settings in their environment, explicit
as in KDE

If your real objection is to dot-files and dot-directories, perhaps a more
general patch with no reference to XDG would be productive.

Mmm. What is your objective with making "XDG-like" fixed names ".cache",
".local". and ".config"? When you have sad "A", expect you'll say "B" and use
XDG_* environment variables.

But, of course, you can ignore this patch. It failry for me and anyway "don't
like - don't use".
--
   With Best Regards.
   Rashid N. Achilov (RNA1-RIPE), Web: http://openoffice.mirahost.ru