skitzoid start/quit location

I'm a heavy MC user with multiple installations of Fedora, Mageia, Mandriva, *Buntu, & openSUSE, including devel versions. Since v4.7.5 or v4.8.0 or so, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to where MC is located when initialized, or the dir current on exit. On some it always starts in a particular location, while in others it starts in the dir current when started, and same for quitting. I've turned off auto save setups wherever I've been able to find them.

What controls this location of start and quit behavior? Looking in mc.ini nothing jumps out at me, same as in menu options. What I want is the old behavior from 4.6.1 or so, starting in the dir current when started, and staying in the dir current on exit. How can I get what I want in recent versions like 4.8.1 & 4.8.3?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/