mc ignoring LC_TIME locale

hello,
on my linux system, I have modified my locales, so that dates are displayed in the form YYYY-MM-DD  (for example as displayed by ls -la).
However, midnight commander is still using the original format (ie 24.Jun 2010). mc seems to be ignoring my custom locales.

running mc explicitly with my locales does not work either:
LC_TIME="custom.UTF-8" mc

Could somebody please advise how to set up mc so that date is displayed as YYYY-MM-DD ?

thank you
Konrad