Re: Editing with mc

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:

On Sun, 2010-08-29 at 14:11 -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:

Same unexpected behaviour here;
mc-20100509_git (Slackware-current)

which terminal emulator are you using?

I bet they are using the some vte-based terminal emulator and mc is
built without support for X.

I have reported this bug (vte sends identical keycodes for Home / End
and CTRL+Home / CTRL+End) no less than one year ago, and someone did
even come up with a patch, but... since vte is basically abandonware the
bug is still there and the only "fix" right now is to build mc with X,
so that it can query the modifier state this way...

.... or become the maintainer of vte and fix it for good.

P.S. Since you are listening, is it possible to make xterm send
different key codes for Enter and CTRL+Enter? Right now, the difference
between those is only detected if mc is using X to query the state of
the modifier keys.

offhand, I think that's only via the modify-other-keys feature,
which can make most non-special keys send an escape sequence.
For example, control/enter would send \E[27;5;13~
(\E is escape).

One drawback to that feature is that shifted keys are handled the same way, shift-L becomes \E[27;2;76~

that may be what you want...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net